Two explosions have been heard at Brussels Airport, while a third has been reported at a metro station in the city near the EU building, reports say.
At least eleven people have died and several injured after two explosions rocked Brussels Airport in a suspected terror attack.
Witnesses described seeing ‘dismembered bodies everywhere’ after the blasts which are believed to have centred on the American Airlines check-in desk at around 8am (7am GMT).
There were reports that shouts in Arabic were heard in the building before the two explosion and shots were fired in the aftermath.
Around 90 minutes later, there were reports of another explosion at a Metro station near the EU headquarters in central Brussels.
Photographs from inside the arrivals hall showed the floor was covered in fallen roof tiles and dust as bloodied people hobbled out of the airport. Others injured were photographed lying on the floor.
Video also shows terrified passengers running for their lives out of the terminal.
In the aftermath of the explosions thousands of people waiting for flights this morning were penned inside the terminal as police sealed off the shattered arrivals hall.
The explosions come just a day after the Belgium Interior Minister warned of possible revenge attacks after the arrest of Paris terror attack suspect Salah Abdeslam in the city last week.
People already checked-in were then slowly evacuated through emergency exits – but were told to leave all their hand luggage as police checked bags for more explosives.
Evacuated air passengers are being ferried onto buses and are being driven to a ‘crisis centre’ away from the airport. Women and children are being moved first.
Sky News Middle East correspondent Alex Rossi, who was at the airport en route for Tel Aviv, told the channel: ‘I could feel the buildings move.’
The incident came as the Belgian capital was on a state of high alert following the arrest of Paris terror attack suspect Salah Abdeslam in the city last week.
Belgium’s Interior Minister, Jan Jambon, said the country was on high alert for a possible revenge attack following the capture of 26-year-old Salah Abdeslam in a flat in Brussels on Friday.
‘We know that stopping one cell can … push others into action. We are aware of it in this case,’ he told public radio.
Brussels is on high alert following the capture last Friday of Salah Abdeslam, the most-wanted man in Europe, in the Molenbeek neighbourhood of the city after a four-month search.
Just yesterday Belgium’s Interior Minister Jan Jambon said the country was braced for a possible revenge attack following the capture of 26-year-old Abdeslam.
France is seeking Abdeslam’s extradition so he can stand trial for his alleged role in the November 13 rampage of gunfire and suicide bombings that killed 130 people in Paris.
**This is a developing story
Source : Online