7 Things You May Not Have Known About The River Mabutho
Actor Thembinkosi Mthembu, has fallen in love with fans as he has managed to charm them with his role as the charismatic Mabutho on the soapie, The River.
Unsurprisingly, Mabutho has also stolen ladies’ hearts onscreen (Tumi) and offscreen as well. Here are a couple of things you might not have known about the dimpled heartthrob.
1. Despite his great acting skills, Thembinkosi Mthembu wasn’t always an actor. Before he was on the screen, the actor said he took on odd jobs.
Before The Republic and The River, I had odd jobs here and there. I worked at Checkers and then at Cell C as a dancer.”
2. Thembinkosi’s first onscreen gig was as Junior on Republic. Consequently, the producers of the show were the award-winning duo Phathu Makwarela and Gwydion Beynon, who are also the creators of The River.
Gwydion Beynon and Phathu Makwarela were impressed by his portrayal of Junior, such that they created a role for him as Mabutho on The River.
It turned out to be a good decision because here we are with Mabutho!
3. He also started on a recurring role as Shift Manager on the MTV Base drama series MTV ShugaL Down South 2
4.Thembinkosi Mthembu is also a dad, he’s the father of a beautiful 2-year-old.
In an interview with True Love Magazine, the actor once revealed that his daughter is everything to him and he struggled with taking care of her financially because he was unemployed when she was born.
“Her presence has changed how I view the world. When she was born, I wasn’t working, and this posed a challenge because I couldn’t provide for her. Thankfully, my mother lent a helping hand by assisting with rent, and paying for my daughter’s needs at the time. Now that I’m in a better position financially, I’m fully enjoying fatherhood” he said
5. He is originally from kwaNdengezi, Durban, KwaZulu-Natal.
6. Thembinkosi has a diploma in Drama and Production Studies from the Durban University of Technology which he obtained in 2017.
7. The actor is also fairly young, he’s just 26 years old, having being born on the 31st of July in 1994.
You May Also Want To Read: