A Mangosuthu University of Technology (MUT) student died after he was struck by lightning in his sleep over the weekend.
Mangosuthu University of Technology Student Struck By Lightning While Sleeping
Mpumezi Mndwetywa was a 3rd-year student in the Department of Mechanical Engineering. He tragically passed away on Saturday, 18 November 2023, after succumbing to burns sustained during a severe lightning storm that wreaked havoc in Durban the previous night.
The devastating storm caused a fire that engulfed several rooms on the 3rd floor of Craiglee, an external university residence in Glenwood. Unfortunately, Mndwetywa was asleep when tragedy struck, and a bolt of lightning struck, causing a fire that claimed his life.
The university community is grappling with the shock and grief of losing a promising student. The institution’s Dean of Students, Dr Thembi Kweyama, paid his condolences:
“It is with a heavy heart that I have to report to you that we lost one of our students on Saturday, 18 November 2023. Mr Mpumezi Mndwetywa, a 3rd-year student in the Department of Mechanical Engineering, passed away, having succumbed to his burns sustained following the severe lightning storm that residents in Durban experienced on Friday night. The Storm resulted in a fire affecting some of the rooms on the 3rd floor of Craiglee, an external university residence in Glenwood. Sadly, Mr Mndwetywa was asleep in his room when it was struck by a bolt of lightning.”
ALSO READ: Goalkeeper struck by lightning
Institution To Offer Emotional Support Services To Affected Students
He further conveyed the deep sadness felt by the university and extended prayers for Mndwetywa’s soul to rest in peace.
Dr Kweyama added that the institution would offer counselling services to affected students:
“Student Counselling will issue notices in due course regarding counselling services that will be available for all those students affected by this tragedy.”